HGV Insurance

Truck Insurance Quotes and HGV Insurance Quotes

HGV Insurance, commonly known as Truck Insurance or Haulage Insurance, is a specialist type of commercial vehicle insurance. It covers vehicles exceeding a weight of 3.5 tonnes (up to 44 tonnes) that transport goods from one destination to another.

HGV Insurance is specifically designed to cover the additional risks that come with transporting goods with an HGV. We can find the right policy for drivers over 25 and provide a range of cover at competitive rates, from policies for drivers that operate one vehicle to policies for companies that operate a large number of vehicles (also known as an HGV Fleet).

Patons will compare HGV Insurance for you

We pride ourselves on giving our customers peace of mind on the roads. At Patons Insurance, we work with a panel of insurers to find the most suitable policies for our HGV drivers at competitive rates.

Having the right insurance in place for your HGV/truck is essential to cover you in the chance you become involved in an accident. Over the past 50 years, we’ve established ourselves as experts in professional driver insurance broking by working closely with a range of reputable insurers, so you can count on Patons Insurance to find the right policy for you.

With 8 offices based across the UK, we pride ourselves on having unbeatable local and industry knowledge, and we aim to provide only the best service for our customers. Having received Feefo’s highest service award for 5 years in a row, we can proudly say that customers are at the heart of what we do.

Levels of HGV Insurance Cover we can compare

We can provide three different levels of cover for our HGV drivers.


Comprehensive insurance provides cover for drivers in all potential accident scenarios. This level of cover is recommended to all drivers because it also covers their vehicle.

Goods In Transit cover is not typically included as standard in HGV Insurance policies but is usually an added optional extra.

Third-Party, Fire and Theft

Third-Party, Fire and Theft will cover drivers if any damage is made to another vehicle or if another driver claims against them, plus it covers the cost of the vehicle should it be stolen or damaged by fire (minus any excess), however, this level of cover offers no accidental damage cover for the driver’s vehicle.

Third-Party Only

Third-Party Only is the lowest level of cover drivers can get, and will cover the driver for damage to any other vehicle or third party,  in the event of a fault accident.

Why use Patons Insurance?

There are many ways you can benefit from taking a policy out with Patons Insurance, these include:

  • Suitable schemes for Haulage, Truck, Lorry and HGV drivers
  • Wide range of insurers to choose from
  • Competitive rates
  • Quotes for many of the most popular courier vehicles
  • Rates for single, fleets and multi-vehicle policies
  • Flexible monthly payments
  • Expert advice and support
  • Dedicated specialist Fleet Team
  • Face-to-face or over the phone communication
  • Secure access to insurance documents online

MonthlyFlexible payments

GetExpert advice

Common Haulage Insurance Questions

What is the difference between HGV Insurance and Courier Insurance?

HGV Insurance, also known as Haulage Insurance, provides cover for vehicles carrying a single load of goods to one drop-off point.

Courier Insurance provides cover for vehicles carrying goods with multiple pick-up and drop-off points.

If you’re unsure what policy would work best for you, give us a call today and our team of experts can help you with any queries you have.

Will my policy cover me to transport hazardous materials?

It will depend on the insurer whether or not the transit of hazardous goods is covered by your policy.

Hazardous goods can include:
• Chemicals, such as pesticides or disinfectants
• Fuel products
• Medical equipment
• Concrete
• Paint

If you transport hazardous products and you’re looking to insure your HGV, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team of experts today. We can help you with any queries you may have.

Will my policy cover the goods that I transport?

Goods In Transit Insurance provides cover for the damage or loss of goods when they’re being transported from one place to another.

Typically, insurers will not include Goods In Transit cover in their HGV Insurance policy. If you want to cover the goods that you transport with your truck, you may have to purchase Goods In Transit cover as an optional extra.

If you have any more questions about Goods In Transit cover, get in touch with our team today and we can help you with any specific queries you have.

Do you insure multiple vehicles?

Yes, we can insure multiple vehicles.

We work with insurers who can provide cover for one vehicle, offer multi-vehicle policies and those who will insure fleets on HGV Fleet Insurance basis.

Do you give No Claims Discount for HGV insurance?

We can take into account No Claims Discount from previous HGV policies to get you discounts from the insurers that we work with.

If you are claim-free through the HGV policy you take out with us, you will earn No Claims Discount at the renewal of your insurance.

Will my HGV Insurance policy include Public Liability insurance?

Public Liability insurance protects drivers in the event that their actions result in injury to a member of the public or damage to their property as a result of an accident that does not directly involving the insured vehicle.

Public Liability may be included in your HGV Insurance policy, but it will depend on the insurer. It can be an optional extra that you pay for, or it can be a separate standalone policy.

Should you have any further questions about Public Liability Insurance, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us today. Our team of experts can help you with any queries you have.

Give us a call:
0333 015 6886

Monday–Friday 09:00–17:00

Recommend a friend icon

Like our service?

Earn up to £50 for every friend you recommend.

Recommend a friend →